New Malaysia’s First 100 Days – survey
SELANGOR – Over 83% of Malaysian voters accept the results of the recent 14th General Election.
Subsequent to the instalment of a new government in Malaysia, a national survey was carried out by KAJIDATA Research to ascertain how Malaysians perceived it. The study revealed that over 47% of voters have anticipated a Pakatan Harapan victory. The balance 36% were not expecting it and 17% did not care.
When asked about the Pakatan Harapan Manifesto, 74% responded that they are aware of it while the remaining 26% were not concerned with it. Nonetheless, out of the 74% who are aware, the top three preferred issues are: Abolishment of GST (33%), Reinstating subsidised petrol (25%) and Deferring payment of PTPTN for people with income below RM4,000 per month (12%).
Further along the study, respondents were asked to rate their level of confidence that the new government will implement all 10 of its promises within 100 days and out of the 1,040 respondents surveyed, 33% are confident, 33% are not confident and 34% are not sure. However, when queried about Malays / Bumiputeras rights and privileges as well as Islam as the national religion, only 38% believe that the new government will continue to protect the rights and privileges of Malays / Bumiputeras, 13% believe otherwise and 49% are still unsure. Subsequently, 35% suggested that the new government will continue to protect and uphold Islam, in contrast to the 12% who stated otherwise with the balance of 53% who are unsure.
On the subject of new Ministers, respondents were asked if they were confident that the new named Ministers will be able to handle their respective portfolios. On average, all six Ministers were rated positively with Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin placing top of the list with 72%, followed by Dato Sri Azmin Ali (68%), Dr. Maszlee Malik (67%), Lim Guan Eng (60%), Dato’ Seri Dr. Wan Azizah (58%) and Mohamad Sabu (54%).
Respondents were asked to rate their level of satisfaction with the new government for the 1MDB investigation and 53% are satisfied, 17% are not and 30% are neutral on the issue. When asked to do the same for the new government’s effort to investigate the actual status of the nation’s debt, 50% are satisfied, 21% are not and 29% are in the middle.
On a lighter note, respondents were asked if they were aware that the GST has been reduced from six percent to zero effective from 1 June 2018 and an overwhelming 95% said Yes, 2% said No and a balance of 3% who responded with unsure. However, only 78% support the government’s decision to reduce it completely with the balance 10% unsupportive and 10% who are on the fence.
KAJIDATA Advisor, Professor Dato’ Sri Dr. Syed Arabi Idid commented that in concluding the study, respondents were asked to rate their level of support for the cancellation of the four mega projects; HSR, MRT3, ECRL and Pan Borneo Highway. Out of the 1,040 respondents, 43% are supportive for the cancellation of HSR with 28% who are unsupportive, 34% do not support the cancellation of MRT3 with 33% who are supportive, 36% do not support the cancellation of ECRL with 36% who are supportive and a majority of 53% do not support the cancellation of Pan Borneo Highway in contrast to the 18% who are supportive of the cancellation.
The opinion poll was carried out by KAJIDATA Research Sdn. Bhd. The poll was conducted from 20 June to 2 July 2018 to gauge the Rakyat’s perception on the new Government of Malaysia.
A total of 1,040 registered voters in Malaysia comprising 56.7% Malays, 22.8% Chinese, 7.4% Indians, 6.9% Bumiputra Sabah, 5.8% Bumiputra Sarawak and 0.4% Others were interviewed by telephone in the poll. Respondents were selected on the basis of random stratified sampling along ethnicity, gender, age and state. The complete cross-tabulation report may be obtained by contacting KAJIDATA Research.